Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Homestyle eatin

Today was very hot but there was also a breeze and it was very sunny with a brilliantly blue sky. This is something new given the weather for the past few weeks has been mostly grey and rainy. Today was also a public holiday so instead of going to the gym for my sacrificial cardio it was time to venture out into the world. I decided to head over to Igidae Park which is a sprawling forested park along the coast (photos will appear another day). I had an absolutely gorgeous if somewhat rigorous walk (it is mountainous after all!).

When I got home I washed up, cracked a beer and tucked into the delightful sandwich I'd picked up on the walk home. This wasn't going to be enough so I decided to build on the beer theme and whipped up a plate of nachos. I settled in to an episode of C.S.I. (Vegas - it's THE C.S.I.) and as I watched dead bodies being sown up was still feeling a bit peckish. So I decided to crack open one of my recent adventurous food purchases - partially dried squid. This is basically Korean bar food but I often go to foreigner oriented bars where not many are into eating this local treat. But, I really enjoy it so I thought I'd give it a go at home. I'd previously tried fully dried squid but practically broke my jaw with all the chewing that entailed. The half-dried stuff is much better and consequently much tastier. Once you break it out of the package you just warm it up over the grill, then shred it up into strips with your fingers and dip it in a mixture of mayonaise and hot n' sweet sauce. Man it tastes real good with beer! Here's a shot of what the original goods look like, plus the devasted remains of one I ate all unto myself....yummmmmm~~ (you can also see my lovely new faux-hardwood floor ^^)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep seeing documentaries about cephalopods, so I feel kinda bad about eating squid now 'cause they're quite beautiful and intelligent. The light shows are amazing. On the other hand, they are so tasty.

Now I'm hungry for seafood and stubbies.

Apparently the show is very popular. A google search has mostly torrents as the result

16 August, 2007 05:29  
Blogger Anne said...

Well I got over eating intelligent and cute things a long time ago - pig, lamb, dog... all tasty and that' s the bottom line~

Squids really are super cool. They're kept live in tanks in front of raw fish restaurants and I sometimes just stop, transfixed by their movements.

Speaking of lights, during squid season the offshore horizon glows eerily from all the squid boats. They use lights to attract the squid.

16 August, 2007 11:16  
Blogger Arbiter of taste said...

VICTORIA BITTER??? You can get that in Korea? That's my Dad's working day beer - he saves the crown lager for weekends, and sticks to "vitamin B" on ordinary occasions.

Whoops!? Did I just out my Dad on his drinking habit? Well what can you expect of an Irish/Australian who works as hard as he drinks. Wish I could make that claim myself - sometimes I just drink hard while avoiding work.

Still - is it Australian VB you're drinking there? Crazy.

31 August, 2007 09:44  
Blogger Anne said...

As I know, that beer is in fact from Down Under. It came recommended from an American friend who enjoyed it during a stint there. Since almost any imported beer is better than Korean beer, I find it quite nice~

06 September, 2007 23:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home