Tuesday, August 07, 2007

And...now for some more food !

A close friend asked me the other day if I'm happy in Korea and without hesitation I responded yes. The main reason is that I truly love my job - something I never expected when I came to Korea about 4.5 years ago. The other reasons are basically found within a few kilometers of my home. I have a great gym, a great set of shops including a produce market for shopping, a mountain for skywards hiking, a vast park along the ocean for scenic walking and I know almost every decent to good restaurant in the area. Throw in a good bunch of co-workers and friends and to me these are the ingredients of a happy life.

There's one place I often stop in for a bite to eat and I always order the same thing. The place is sort of equivalent to a Japanese fusion diner in the sense that it's not too expensive but they have everything fusiony under the sun on their menu. That means mostly loads of bizarre rolls, some sushi and even some pasta and salads. But what I go there for is the 회덮밥 (hwoe-deop-bap). Literally that translates as raw fish- covered- rice, which is I guess literally what it is. But man is it tasty. On a heaping pile of rice is basically a generous topping of shredded greens (mainly lettuce + sesame leaf = yum), some strips of 김 (kim = roasted pressed seaweed - a lot tastier than it sounds) and sliced raw fish. The diner then liberal douses this with a sweetened chili sauce, mixes well and digs in. Mmmmm sooooo tasty.... [cost: 6000원 ~ $7.00 CAD]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmmm how I miss Korean food. Nice improvements to your apartments, what a great surprise!! How is your kitty doing? I love reading your blog Anne, hope you are having a great summer!
Becca

08 August, 2007 13:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home