Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lunch of the day

Last Saturday I took a daytrip to Seoul and as usual I took the KTX (Korea's zippy train - from Busan to Seoul -> 2 hrs 45 min). I didn't get a chance to eat before boarding the train as I was late getting up and out the door so I was at the mercy of whatever was available on board. As luck would have it, the 'doshirak' (도시락), or lunchbox, was purty darn good. For about 7 bucks, this is what I got:In the lunch box, from top left moving to the right by row, sauteed dried anchovy sidedish, 2 tater tots (!), kimchi, sauteed mushroom sidedish, 2 cherry tomatoes, stewed beef, steamed broccoli (a new veggie to Korea but one that's become very popular of late) and the main dish, baby octopus stir-fry. Yum! Included was some water, rice and dried crispy seaweed you can use to wrap up your rice with. Yum yum!

This meal highlights one thing I really like about Korea. No matter where you are chances are you can get some 'real' food. And by that I mean unprocessed, with actual vegetables and cooked by someone by hand. That's good eats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home