Tuesday, August 07, 2007

That nasty construction

There's a very large construction site next to our building. It opened a few months ago and work is slated to continue until Dec. 2008 or so. A new dormitory and student centre are being built - each one will be over 15 storeys upon completion. Oh! Happy day! The noise and dirt levels fluctuate, but thankfully they do at least stop work around sundown. A friend told me of a charming 11 months when a new mega grocery store was constructed in front of his house - construction was round the clock.

I haven't been able to get many good shots of the big mess but I managed this one.
Here you can see a big ol' stack of materials, but what I was trying to capture was the crazy huge crane moving this very heavy looking box thing through the air and onto a flatbed truck. I was sure the end was near as it seemed inevitable balance would be lost and the whole thing would come crashing through my front window. Thankfully this did not happen! (I feel the gritty element of this photo is heightened by the grid effect which resulted from taking the picture through my screen door - click on the image to see a larger version)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home