Thursday, June 30, 2005

[et bien Montreal] Tuesday, June 7

Tuesday of course started off with...more shopping! At this point, with the wedding less than a week away, finding a suitable dress was becoming pretty imperative. Poked around Alexis Nihon then met Vincent for some lunch. Funny that some of the food I most look forward to eating in Montreal is Chinese food. Though I can practically see China from my home in Korea, it's almost impossible to find 'authentic' Chinese food. There just aren't that many Chinese people living in Korea. Anyway, I digress. After lunch Vincent magnanimously accompanied me for a little dress shopping. Mexx saved the day as they had a satisfactory dress (though I'd have to pick it up the next day in the correct colour at the St. Denis location) AND a pair of great black pants on special. Don't get me wrong, Mexx clothing at full price is a little beyond my means, but man, if you can get that stuff on sale what a deal!!! It's of great quality and really classy styles that actually fit properly. Yay for Mexx!

For dinner I headed over to the stately Place Kensington where my Grandma and Aunt Mary were waiting. Mary had made the grand trip to Montreal all the way from the interior of B.C.; it was a real pleasure to catch up after many years since the last time we'd met. Dinner was great as we sat with some of Grandma's friends. After dinner, Mary and Grandma taught me to play an interesting board game called 'Blokkus'. Pictured at dinner from left to right is Mary O'Reilly (99), Mary Donald, Grandma (86), Kay Shaughnessy (90) and Muriel Perrie (86). Combined these ladies have more than 20 children, and who knows how many grandkids!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for some reason, couldn't get the picture! Mum

01 July, 2005 11:41  
Blogger Anne said...

Yup there was a little problem there for a while, but it's fixed now.

01 July, 2005 13:29  
Blogger Oblivia said...

re: chinese food, i believe there are lots of chinese people living in korea only they have widely assimilated. i read an excerpt from a report by SERI (Samsung Economic Research Instiute) called something like, "A Country Without A Chinatown". In other words, there is a long history of interaction without the ghettoisation.

Once, I was with my cousins who said, "do you like chinese food? lets order chinese food!" and what arrived was tang soo - a korean version of sweet and sour sauce over fried meat. i also think chajang myun is considered a form of chinese food....

01 July, 2005 14:40  
Blogger Anne said...

Oblivia I'm not going to dispute what you say about integrated Chinese, but it is certainly true that there aren't really any China towns. Busan has an attempt at one, but it's more like a China street, with a handful of restaurants and tiny stores. I've heard Incheon actually has a bit more stuff. But in any case, trying to find 'authentic' Chinese food, or even Japanese food can be next to impossible. Yep I've tried the tangsuyook, and it's sort of the same thing as sweet and sour pork. Apparently the deal with jajjangmyeon is that it was created by Chinese cooks to appeal to Korean tastes. Well it worked cause that stuff is very popular, though I can't figure out why as personally I find it a mostly disgusting pile of noodles covered in gooey black sauce. Alls I wants is just a little dim-sum dammit!!!

01 July, 2005 15:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too many holidays here the end of June.There's Jean Baptiste and Canada Day, and it eally blows my regulated life. Anyhow I loved the picture of our dinner at P.K. Any chance of a copy? Loved seeing you however briefly Did you like Jean's house ?
Bedtime here now - Love The whiz kid

04 July, 2005 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home