Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Random Thoughts

Oops looks like I'm already getting behind with my posts on the Canada trip... I've been busy getting my cell-phone unlocked (yep I don't know the code but I pressed the lock button anyway - mornings are not a good time for me) and filling my fridge to overflowing with groceries (ummm eating good).

I was just leaving a comment on The Public Ineffectual's blog which led me to think I should post my line of thinking here as well. The other day I watched the blockbuster action smash hit 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. With lots of firearms and ass-kicking by both leads, it led us to thinking that currently Angelina Jolie is by far the premier female action hero. At which point, I began to wonder when in fact the female action hero had become a prominent feature of cinema? Having just watched 'Superman 2' on TV, it sure wasn't in the eighties. Lois Lane has about as much charisma as a soggy noodle. Ok, maybe and al dente noodle. My friend postulated that the character of Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) in 'The Matrix' may have been the first to start the trend of kick-ass females on the big screen. Any other ideas out there?

2 Comments:

Blogger zibalatz said...

James Cameron is a big fan of the female lead in action flicks- Linda Hamilton in Terminator, Sigourney Weaver in Alien, and to a lesser extent Kate Winslet in Titanic (remember the scene where she's running through the sinking ship, axe in hand, trying to save her cuffed-up man?). Also, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon had several female leads. Hell, Linda Carter as Wonder Woman in the TV show predates all of these.

Also, there's a ton of female leads in action flick in B movies, so it was only a matter of time before this moved to the mainstream.

22 June, 2005 23:54  
Blogger Anne said...

Sheez I totally forgot about Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver. Yep they totally kicked ass in their respecive flicks. But they were confined to those flicks, whereas at least in the case of Angelina Jolie, she's played an action role in several movies. As far as Asian movies go, especially Chinese martial arts flicks, they don't count as they've always had chicks that kick ass as much as the guys. And B movies...well, ok.

23 June, 2005 11:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home