Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wasting time, la la la~~~

Definitely one of the fun things about living abroad is having the exotic become familiar. Case in point: persimmons. While living in Canada it's doubtful I could have picked one out of a lineup, but in Korea they can be found in abundance come harvest time. Driving through the countryside on our recent trip to Jirisan, we saw lots of trees overburdened with persimmon fruit, with piles of ripe fruit fallen to the ground. Also, we saw rows and rows of fruit strung up to dry, and in a market area huge boxes going for mere pennies (or wons I suppose).

Little did I know that one of the uses for way too many overripe persimmons is to make dye. I'd often seen orangey cloth and clothes for sale and as it turns out, it's been dyed with persimmon. I recently learned this from an article with lovely photos, one of which you see above. For the full story, check here:

Persimmon dye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home