Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A New Month

January was a very busy month (almost traumatically so) with many many extra hours of teaching due to Children's Winter English Camp. That's right, kids in Canada go to camp to recreate, Korean kids go to camp to study. In any case, February's shaping up to be a little more relaxed. I've got a week of vacation time, as well as next week gives us 3 days off for Lunar New Year, or Seollal (설날) as it's known here. Phew!
I did manage to squeeze in a movie last week though, and it was unusual viewing. 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' starring Bill Murray. This comes from proven director, Wes Anderson, whose previous films include the quirky but highly entertaining 'Rushmore' and 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. So what's with 'Life Aquatic' then? It certainly was quirky, but not necessarily in an amusing way. In fact, I'm fairly unsure what I think of the movie. Seems there were points being made concerning legacy (or lack there of) but that's about as far as I got. If you've seen this movie, I'd be more than interested in your 2 cents...

3 Comments:

Blogger zibalatz said...

I haven't seen the movie but I remember reading somewhere (possibly on http://www.themovieblog.com/ ) that although a lot of people *wanted* to like the movie, the fact of the matter was that it wasn't very good. It sounds like most people who have seen his previous movies and enjoyed them were quite let down by this one. "I wanted to like it, but I don't think I did" seems to be the general response.

I'll probably download it at some point and give a more informed opinion, as opposed to spouting what other people thought about it.

(Of course I mean download a BACKUP copy of my totally legally owned DVD)

Hey anybody know how to use hypertext in blogger comments? i.e.: hrefs, bold text, etc... The posting page doesn't seem to have any help or instructions links.

02 February, 2005 06:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anne!
I liked the Life Aquatic soundtrack - kitchy retro synth tracks and acoustic Bowie covers by Brazilian Seu Jorge. Both had very fragile yet warm sounds, it was rounded out with some nice uk hard rock for contrast.

Paul

02 February, 2005 15:02  
Blogger Anne said...

Yeah I totally dug the soundtrack too. Especially the synth stuff...there's one sort of upbeat number that Bill Murray does a little dance to that's just wikkid..

03 February, 2005 20:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home